Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hubbard-Brewer Reunion



April 18th, 2008

I’m camped on a small peninsular at Crystal Springs Corp of Engineer’s park on Lake Ouachita. At 6 AM yesterday the lake to the right of my camper looked like a fairyland. There were 54 bass boats arranged on the lake waiting for the start of a fishing tournament. It was still dark and I saw 54 red and white position lights bobbing on the water. As their numbers were called they roared out on the lake and in minutes there were no more lights. It was a really pretty way to start the day.

I drove to Arkadelphia on scenic Arkansas 7 and got to Gum Springs as everyone else arrived home of Renella Clemons for the reunion. The house is on land Dora and George Brewer purchased in 1917. Dora Hubbard Brewer built and lived in the current house after George Brewer’s death. The house and the land around it were divided between the Brewer children and some of it is still in the Brewer family. The fact that their Mother lived in the house is the only thing that ties it to the Hubbard children.

There were quite a few Hubbard’s were at the reunion. Lloyd Hubbard came for the west coast. Jon Hubbard drove down from Jonesboro. Jon has a book out, Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative. Look for it on Amazon. Put in his full name, Jon Michael Hubbard or the title of the book. I hope more Hubbard’s show up next year. Remember that the reunion is the Saturday after Easter every year.

We all brought food for the potluck. As usual, the food was great. The fried okra won the best dish contest. The prize was a history of Dora’s side of the family. Pam Bell said she would send me a copy of that history and the Hubbard history.

I did take a few pictures and will post when I have a faster link. I am using an AT&T data card and it is really slow here at Crystal Springs. I did upload one photo. It is not very clear. The man in the swing is Lloyd Hubbard from the west coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment