Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Round the World Cruise, January 16, 2012



We just spent two days in Lima, Peru.   I took wow tours in Lima.  One was a tour of the Indian Market.  It is in downtown Millaflores, a suburb of Lima.  It is a big market filled with stalls.  I purchased my Peru earrings here.  I also bought an alpaca teddy bear.  Could not resist he is very soft and cuddly.
The Second tour was Lima Highlights.  We went into the old Colonial Heart of Lima where the President’s Palace and the Cathedral are located.  We walked around the Plaza with the guide pointing out building of interest.  Because Lima is in a earthquake zone most of the building are rebuilt copies of the originals.  The Cathedral is original and was beautiful, photos to follow when I get shore Internet.  From there we walked two blocks to the church of San Francisco.  There are catacombs under the church where over 30,000 people were buried.  
All tours required long bus rides and I saw a lot of Lima.  It is a city of contrasts; beautiful upscale sections, the original Colonial center of the city filled with empty buildings, and the poorer sections. 
I also road the shuttle to the Marriott in Milaflores.  It is on the ocean with a shopping center built into the cliffs under a beautiful park.
I am glad I visited and would love to come back sometime to visit some of the museums that I missed.
I am in General San Martin port today.  The land is entirely desert with nothing around.  We leave for Easter Island this afternoon.  I understand that ship wi-fi will be spotty at best so nothing more for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment