Sunday, September 2, 2012

Boise, ID to Portland, OR

I crossed the Snake River between ID and OR and followed it for the first few miles after crossing.  The drives between Steamboat and Salt Lake City and Salt Lake and Boise were pretty boring.  There was the Dinosaur Monument but between Salt Lake and Boise it was just high desert.  There were large areas that had burned in wildfires but nothing else of interest.  This drive was very different.  The scenery was varied and great for the entire route.

This arched bridge was built in the early 1900's and has been restored.  The gentleman who designed the bridge felt they should be strong and attractive and he succeeded in both.  I pulled of the interstate to the overlook for the bridge.

When I got far enough north I started following the Columbia River.  This is the same route Lewis and Clark followed. All along the cliff tops on both the Washington side and the Oregon Side there were windmills turning and generating electricity.

This is from one of the view points where I could pull off the freeway to take photos.  There were no places to pull of where there were  the best views of the cliffs on either side of the river.  I was surprised by how many trains and how long the trains were that I saw on the drive along the river.  The tracks ran along the same path as the highway.

At this view point there were some of the cliffs on the Washington side of the river.

Another view from a pull off.  This was a drive I wished I had taken when I had the RV and spent 2 month in Oregon.  On this trip the only place where the path of the two trips crossed was Baker City.  I did not visit Portland on that earlier trip either.  Tomorrow I will post photos of my sightseeing trips around the city.  

1 comment: