Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Juneau, Alaska

Russian Church.  I took my own walking tour and was disappointed when the church was not open.  It was raining for the entire time I walked.  The Land's End coat I purchased for the trip worked really well.  

I went to the Juneau city museum and then to the Alaska State Historical Museum.  Both have an entry charge.  I was glad I had been to the Juneau museum first and watched their video.  It provided a good background for the displays in the State Museum.  This is a photo from the entrance.  Both were worthwhile visits.

One of the exhibits in the State Museum.  All were very realistic.  I spend most of the morning on the walking tour.  I visited the state capitol but did not take any pictures.  I just did the tour.

Mendenhall Glacier - I took the $16.00 Shuttle up to the Glacier.  The driver gave a very good tour of some of the places of interest on the  way up to the Glacier.  There is a fee at the Tongass Mendenhall Glacier Center but because I had the Senior Pass I did not have to pay.  The day was still cloudy but the rain had stopped for a while so pictures are not that bright.  The Glacier was impressive.  This took most of the afternoon.  I still managed to get in some shopping even though I did not plan to.  As a result I now have a very nice diamond pendant.

Glacier and the water fall that comes in showing on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment