Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ketchikan, Alaska

It finally quit raining but not before the Captain sailed us into a Beaufort scale 11 winds (one step below Hurricane force winds) on the way and had to ship listing 10 degrees to the port side.  I did my own walking tour and then took the free bus around to some other sites.  This is Creek Street, the former red light district and now a street of small shops.  I found my Alaska shirt there. 

Sculpture at the harbor entrance.

Outside the Totem Heritage Center.  I got to this by the free bus.  There is a fee to go in and it is worth the price.  There is a fish hatchery across the creek from the center.  They release salmon into the creek and this was the only place I saw salmon.

These totems are inside the Center.  They were moved from their location and left in the condition they were found.  The center saves totems left in abandoned villages and others that are donated to the center.  The history of each totem is located in the display.  I also went to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center where history of the area is on display.  That center is part of the US Forest Service and there is a fee but again with the Senior Pass I got in for free.

I had to add this one.  This is a sea plane port.  We passed it on the way out.  You can see the sea planes taking off anywhere along the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment