Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sasquan 73rd World Con - Friday 2015

My first full day at the con.  Spokane has fires burring all around and yesterday the wind brought a lot of smoke to the city.  It was so bad that there were signs telling people to stay inside.  It is better this morning as the wind  has shifted.  My hotel is connected to the conversion center so I do not have to go outside.  Even so the smoke was so strong that it smeledl was even in my room.  On to the convention.

I started the day learning how to drape a sari.  The presenter was late so all we got to do was watch instead of watching and the giving it a try.  Photo attached.

From there I went to a panel about aging and SciFi fans.  One of the presenters does research on the brain so we got some very interesting real science to go with the fiction.

A visit to the dealers room and the art show followed.  I found a pair of earrings that I quick picked at the the art show.  They are by the same man who did the ones I picked up at a previous con.

From there it was on to a panel featuring C.J. Cherryh.  I love her books and this was the first time to see her.  There were some interesting questions and she had short answers for all.

From there I listened to authors read.  Kevin J. Anderson, Beth Cato and Jack Campbell (John Hemry) all shared a reading from their works.  Anderson read a short story from a future release, Cato read from her current book (Her room was small and full with no seating when I arrived so I did not stay for the entire time), Campbell read from his next release and shared what was upcoming.

From there it was What's New from Ace/Roc.  Anne Sowards did the presentation.  She edits several of my favorite authors.  I could tell she loves her work.

After that it was Eric Flint.  It was suppose to be a reading but he does not read.  Instead he opened it up to question so it was like a mini Kaffe Klatche.  This was my third time to see him at a con and it has been interesting to see how he has changed over the years.  I first saw him in St. Louis.  He reacted to fans like they were something that got on his shoes and smelled bad but he could not scrape off.  I decided he was one of those authors whose books I like even if I did not like the author. I saw him next in North Carolina where I went to his Kaffe Klatche.  I did not expect much but he surprised.  He was much more in touch with how important fans were and I had a great time listening to him.  This time the big difference was in how he talked about his work.  In North Carolina he talked a lot about how he used blue collar workers as his main characters.  Here he talked more about works in progress and how he works with his collaborators.  It was a really good session.

Last but not least at 7:00 p.m. I went  to the Broad Universe Speed Reading.  All of the authors in this group are female and each participant has5 minutes to read from something they wrote.  At the last World Con I attended they were given only one hour in the middle of the day.  It was very rushed, the room was full to overflowing and not everyone got to share.This time they had a two hour slot but at the end of the day.  It was very well organized but the time meant that attendance was low.  Many of the authors shared fantasy but two were Space Opera and I will be looking for their books.  There was only one author I recognized and that was Elizabeth Bear.  She was also at the session at the previous con.

That ended my day at 9:00 p.m.

Group playing at a being from Galaxy Quest

One of the costumes in the big costume display

Model and presenter at how to drape a sari.

No comments:

Post a Comment