Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sasquan 73rd World Con - Saturday 2015

I just returned from my last program.  Like previous World Con's I was tired after two days and did not do as much.  Forty Seven North put on a party with free books at my hotel and the is what I just came back from.  They had free food, a free drink, and free books.  I got Boundary Crossed by Melissa F. Olson, Porr Man's Fight by Elliott Kay, Through the Door by Jodi McIsaac and The Far Time Incident by Neve Maslaovix.  We started out with two books and as everything was ending we were invited to take as many as we wanted.

I only went to two other panels today.  The Aliens Among Us was based on C.J. Cherryh's books.  The panel included Jo Walton, Jack Campbell and Ann Leckie.  All agreed that Cherryh influenced all of their writing and she has not gotten the attention she deserves.

The other panel was on online magazines.  Mike Resnick was on the panel with three other people I did not know.  All had online magazines.  It was interesting but did not offer much new information.

Helsinki won the 2017 World Con.  I voted for Washington DC first and Montreal second.  Will have to see who will host the North American Science Fiction Con now that 2017 will in Europe.

One last thought.  Did anyone notice that I did not attend a panel related to Science Fiction Romance?  I saw one that mentioned romance in SciFi.  I only saw one author I associate with SFR.  That is Sharon Shinn who writes what I call gentle romances with a Sci Fi background.  We need a bigger voice.  Next year World Con is in Kansas City.  Surely we can get authors to attend and hopefully have several panel to push our books.

The Hugo's are tonight but I will probably Google tomorrow to see who won.  I leave tomorrow for Seattle and the Alaska Cruise so more later.

My new friend Susan took my picture with my books at the 47 North Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment