Friday, August 21, 2015

Sasquan World Con 73 - Thursday - 2015

I drove 315 miles on Thursday.  That put me in Spokane around noon (gained hour with time change).  I checked into the hotel and then went to the Con and registered.  After that I went to lunch at TGI Fridays and went over the program to see what panels I wanted to visit.  I don't choose as much on subject as I do on who is on the panel.  I love to hear from authors whose books I read.

On Thursday I started with Learning to Love the Deadline.  Patricia Briggs was a panel member and I love her Mercy Briggs and Charles and Anna books.  She did not disappoint.  She added a big touch of humor to the discussion while giving information on how she met deadlines.  Also why sometimes she did not meet deadlines.  Gillian Redfearn was the moderator and she came with some very good questions for the panel that added my enjoyment.

I stayed in the same room for the next panel on The Changing Face of Hard Science Fiction.  Nancy Kress and Karl Schroeder were both panelists.  I have read and liked books by both.  It was interesting but in the end each had their own idea about what made something Hard Science Fiction.

From there I went to What's New at TOR.  That was a short program with information about all the new books through January.

My big disappointment of the day was missing the Baen presentation.  Since I arrived in the middle of the day I was rushed in checking the schedule and missed seeing the Baen program.

I visited the dealers room and the Art Show from 2:00 until 3:00.  I paid my $40:00 to vote on the 2017 site selection before starting the programs. I started panels at 3:00 and ended at 5:45.

From there I visited the Con Suite where I was thrilled to see a Gluten free room so I could get a snack before returning to my hotel around 6:30.  I was still tried from driving so I made it an early hight.


No comments:

Post a Comment