Sunday, March 24, 2013

Colombo, Sri Lanka

We arrived here wary this morning. There is a picture of the dancers who were on the dock where we arrived. There was also an elephant all dressed in red out to meet us. Our dock was changed because an Iranian Navy ship was docked where we were suppose to be. As a result we ended up a long way out from anything. I hired a taxi driver to take me on a tour. I wanted to go to a Buddhist Temple (I had not visited one anywhere else). Sri Lanka is 80% Buddhist and I went to two different temples. One was open air out on a lake. The other was a large temple with a lot of history. My driver took me around the temple and explained everything. We are here on Sunday and the children were in the temple for weekly lessons about the religion. There was an elephant in the temple and I had several pictures taken while I visited and offered food that was accepted. Notice my bare feet. No shoes and no hats in the temple. I also visited one of the old hotels that is still in operation. Like Raffles it is very old world and very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment