Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Porto Malai, Langkawi, Malaysia

This is the second time to post this. I don't know what happened to the first one. I guess it is out there wandering in the ether somewhere. I can't find it anywhere.

Langkawi is an island off the Malaysian mainland and is a big resort destination. We had been told that there would be no shuttle. The pier here is very long and I expected a long walk to where I could get a taxi to the beach. Instead there were shuttle buses that dropped us off where we could shop, go to Underwater World or take a very short walk to the beach. And what a beach. This is what I expected tropical beaches to look like. I loved it and shopping and Underwater World lost out big time. There is great sand, shade to sit in and just enjoy the scenery, and great water. I did not feel the heat while I was there. I spend about an hour in the water (that is almost the maximum I can stay in the sun without burning even when I wear sun block). More time just sitting in the shade and enjoying the beach. This is a big resort area and there were people on vacation from all around this area. I visited with a few who were local and a few who were doing the same thing I was. I wish it were not so far away from where I live. I would love to come back for a week or so.

This is also one of the most scenic ports we have sail into. There are little islands all around and very few building in view. One other thing. On the shuttle on the way back I was standing because I was still wet from swimming. As we left the buildings behind and neared the port there was a small monkey along the side of the road. This was the first time I had seen one out in nature. I would have missed him if I had not been standing.

The photos are of the beach, the port and dock, some of the small islands (you can see the humidity), and one of the cottages along the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment