Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Currency Exchange

Every country we go to we have to deal in a different currency. I find it interesting to see the different rates of exchange. We just did Hong Kong and Singapore and here are how they exchanged. I went to a bank ATM in Hong Kong and withdrew 750 Hong Kong Dollars. For that withdrawal my bank withdrew $100 US. When I got to Singapore I had 400 Hong Kong dollars left. I exchanged them for Singapore dollars and got 62.20. I needed more money so I withdrew 100 Singapore dollars at a bank ATM. 80 US dollars were withdrawn from my bank account. I can exchange on the ship but get a better rate from a bank ATM or from one of the many money exchange stories in port. I have 60 Singapore dollars left and I will exchange those in South Africa.

In some ports the ship will not exchange local current and tell us that US Dollars are widely accepted. I suspect that those currencies are inflated and the ship does not want to be stuck with them. We do get a currency conversion card at each port. It has the currency conversion and information on getting back to the ship if we need it.

A hint if you every need it. I use my bank debit card to make purchases where credit cards are accepted and get the best rate of currency exchange without the surcharge that credit cards charge. I sat down with someone in my bank and they entered the entire schedule with dates and ports before I left. That way when my card is used they can check the date and port to make sure it is one where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment