Sunday, August 15, 2010

Natchez Trace Parkway











I traveled on the Natchez Trace Parkway from the Tennessee State Line to Tupelo, MS on Friday. A lot of the old Trace has vanished but there are places along the route where you can take a short walk and still find portions. I hit the Parkway around 11:00 a.m. and left it at Tupelo around 3:00 p.m. That part is just about 70 miles long but has a lot of pull offs with short hiking trails. I took all but one along that route. There are numerous springs along the Trace, Indian mounds from 1200 + years ago, and sites where the stations along the route were located. I waded in most of the springs after I hiked. The cold water was great after walking the 90 degree + temperature. One of the first springs is located in a pond created by a large beaver dam. The beaver lodge is visible on one side of the dam. Below the first dam the beavers built a second and created a smaller pond. There were a few wild flowers blooming around the path. The Park Service has built a stone crossing to get across the creek below the dams. I waded the creek there. People on the Trace had to cross the Tennessee River by ferry. There is a dam below that site and it is is underwater now. I don't recommend August a time to travel the Natchez Trace Parkway but I do recommend taking the Trace. There is a lot of history along the way. I did take pictures of the springs, the beaver dams, the flowers and the original Trace.

No comments:

Post a Comment