Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rock City





Chattanooga is very hot right now so I arrived at Rock City as soon as it opened. They run a sprinkler system at night and when I first walked down among the rocks at 8:30 a.m. it felt cool. By the time I left it was very warm. I did not know what to expect. Rock City went on my Bucket List (a very fluid list) after I read Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I had been to House on the Rock in Wisconsin (another place featured in the book) and so I wanted to see Rock City. I really enjoyed the visit. Rock City originally was billed as Rock City Gardens. It opened in 1932 and started as a private garden filled with native plants. Looking at what was planted I think the best time to see most of the flowers would be in the Spring. There were some summer flowers but not many. The rock formation were the star at this time of year. The paths have been laid out to take advantage of the rock formations in the area. Part of the time I was down between large rock formations and some time the path took me up on top to see other interesting formations. Part of the path took me between narrow openings and in at least one place I was by a opening filled with cool air. All in all I recommend a trip to Rock City if you are in the Chattanooga ares. I did take pictures and an attaching a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment