Thursday, August 5, 2010

North Carolina State Capital








I am in Raleigh, North Carolina attending the North American Science Fiction Convention. The state capitol is within walking distance of my hotel and I walked over to tour before the Convention started this morning. Built between 1831 and 1840 the capitol is a small building that has not been enlarged. Only the Governor's office is still a working office in the building. The rest has been restored or is still in its original condition. While no longer in use the State Library, the House and Senate, and the state Geologist Office are displayed as they were when the building was new. There is also a statue of George Washington depicted as a Roman General. You can see how everything looks in the attached photos. I took all the photos with my Olympus point and shoot. An interesting side note: North Carolina elected a woman to their state legislator before women could vote. I included her picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment