Sunday, February 24, 2013

Albany, Western Australia

I spent the day in Albany a city in Western Australia. The locals worked hard to make us welcome. This is a fairly new port for cruise ships. They now have around 11 per year. Unfortunately it rained for most of the morning which spoiled the day for some. I had the rain coat I purchased and used in Alaska and it worked just as well in Australia. The town is small enough that I could walk to many of the attractions. I visited the Albany Convict Goal Museum built with convict labor in 1852. There are three photos from there. One is of the wall and exercise yard, one is of some of the aborigines symbols in the wall of the Aborigines cell and one of a small black lizard native to Australia. I also toured the Patrick Taylor Cottage. It was built in 1932 and is the oldest surviving intact dwelling in Western Australia. From there I went to the Western Australia Museum and saw a very good exhibit about the Aborigines and the European settlers. The museum is located in the former home of the Governor General and I included a picture of that building. My last visit was a full scale model of the Brig Amity. This was the ship that brought the first settlers to Albany. It included convicts to help build the town. There is a picture of me in front of the Amity. Many of the yards had gardens in front of the houses. There is also a picture of one of those gardens. As you can see it is full of plants. The last picture is of an Aborigine man that was located in a small par.

No comments:

Post a Comment