Friday, February 22, 2013

Kangaroo Island

So far this has been my favorite stop in Australia. Kangaroo Island is the third largest island in Australia but has a very small population. We were tendered in to Penneshaw, a small town on the coast. I took a free shuttle and stopped at the first stop, KI Artworks where local artist had art work for sale. One of the ladies working in the shop lived next door. She took me over to her house for a treat. Turns out is was two young kangaroos whose mothers had been killed by cars. THey were Ginger and Christmas, a young female and a young male. I got to pet and hold Ginger. She was so soft and was just a sweet baby. They will stay where they are for another 6 months and then will go to a half-way house to get them ready to go back into the wild.

From there I walked down to one of the beaches and spend some time walking in the ocean. From there I walked around the town and the surrounding areas before going back to the ship. Pictures of my visit with the babies are attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment