Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ascension Island

I was excited about going to Ascension Island but it was not to be. The docking area was not very good and the swells and wind came up. I was in a tender that got almost to shore. The tender before mine was having trouble trying to dock and as we held off the dock we could here the crew and the Captain talking. The tender crew said that if they continued to try to dock they were going to have some very damaged tenders. The Captain came back and said if they felt it was unsafe at the visit would be called off. At that point we turned back to the ship.. We did see some very nice fish from the tender windows and I also saw one of the sea turtles who come here to lay eggs swimming along side the boat. I could not get pictures of either. I am posting photos taken from the front of the ship. Before everything was called off some of the people who live on the island got on the ship and set up a small gift shop. I included a picture of everyone shopping. LIke St Helena this is a very remote island and not very many people visit. Most of the people who live here are part of the British Military.

No comments:

Post a Comment