Monday, April 15, 2013

Saint Helena

This is another of my favorite stops. It is small and easy to get around. I picked up a tour with 6 others. We traveled in a 1950's Ford Van. I have a picture of me and the van. It is very steep here and we wondered if it would make some of the hills. It had a new paint job and a new engine. Everything slows down on their roads so it was not our van. I have pictures of the Castle Gardens, The Governor's House, one of the forts on top of one of the mountains and a view of Jamestown as we sailed in. Also the gate coming into Jamestown, the crater left for the volcano that formed the island and me with the van. This was a tender port so we were not docked. The locals ran out the red carpet. Right now the only ways to get here is by boat. They have a supply and passenger ship that comes every few weeks and a few cruise ships a year. They are building an airport that is scheduled to open in 2016. Even though it is 1200 miles from any other land I think they will be a big tourist destination. It will also change the character of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment