Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Maputo, Mozambique

Maputo is a large port and the capital of Mozambique. I took the shuttle to the Felima Market, a large open air market featuring many kinds of crafts. I found some beaded earrings among other things. The fabrics were really colorful but I just brought home pictures. There is also a picture of one of the purse trees. I also went to the Polana Hotel. It is an older hotel that has been restored. I included some photos taken there. Maputo is a mix of the very well to do and the very poor. The houses are some that were behind the hotel. There is also a street scene and a sculputre I took from the shuttle.
One thing I noticed was the number of young men just standing around. There is a very high unemployment rate here and the average income is just $800 a year. An interesting place but not one I want to come back to. The picture of me is with a sight seeing train that was at the dock. It was here of another cruise ship that come in after us.

No comments:

Post a Comment