Friday, April 12, 2013

Namibia

We spent two day in Walvis Bay, Namibia. This is a largely desert country. As we sailed into the port you could see the dunes behind the town. Walvis Bay is a large and very busy harbor. We were docked with the container ships. I took the shuttle into town. It was very different from what I expected. It is laid out in a grid, is very clean and has a lot of expensive houses. I took a taxi to do my sight seeing. i went to the lagoon where the pelicans were very abundant. From there out to Dune 7 in the National Park. You can see me at the dune and see the people climbing it behind me. From there I went to Swakopmund. This is a town started when this area was a German Colony. It is a large beach resort. The beach was not as pretty as other places. It reminded me a beaches along the Atlantic at home. The building have a style left from earlier days. There were a lot of tourist from Europe and Africa there. There was even a light house. All in all it was a very pretty town. The drive there was on the east side of the dunes which stretch from Walvis Bay to Swakopmund. On the drive back we were on the west side and the road followed the coast the entire way. There were some very big houses being built along the coast. I included a picture of my taxi driver in this post. Not many days left. I got a the first departure form today. We have cruised 26,000 + miles so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment